- How to have an honest one-on-one with an employee | “Here are six ways to get employees talking about what they really feel (and not what they think you want to hear)…”
- Portland proposes a special tax on companies where CEOs make 100X more than median employee | “Environmental lawyer-turned-Portland City Commissioner Steve Novick has a cool use for the new SEC rules requiring companies to disclose executive pay starting in 2017: he’s going to impose special taxes on businesses where the ratio of CEO pay to median worker pay exceeds 100:1 — an increase of 10% for 100:1 companies, and 25% for 250:1 companies.”
- The Science Of Gratitude And Why It’s Important In Your Workplace | “Lack of gratitude is a major factor driving job dissatisfaction, turnover, absenteeism, and often, burnout.”
- Coached by the Zen Master, the Knicks Try Mindfulness | “Derrick Rose had never attempted mindfulness sessions in his first seven years in the N.B.A. There had been moments with his therapist here and there that seemed similar, but nothing overseen by the Chicago Bulls. Just the thought of Tom Thibodeau, his old coach, looming over a meditation setting, his gravelly voice booming as he tried to instill calm, made Rose laugh. But in New York, Rose has come to enjoy new experiences, and in an organization run by a man nicknamed the Zen Master, that means taking part in team meetings based on mindfulness.”
- How Arrival’s Designers Crafted a Mesmerizing Alien Alphabet | “Arrival is, to be sure, an alien flick. But under that sci-fi veneer is a film about communication, and the effort required to understand someone (or, in this case, something) who looks and speaks differently than you do.”
- The Best Book Covers of 2016 | “The year’s best covers, as chosen by the art director of The New York Times Book Review.”
- The Evolution of Disney animation… | “…since “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” (1937) to “Zootopia” (2016).”
- The Science Behind Baking Your Ideal Chocolate Chip Cookie | “You like soft and chewy. He likes thin and crispy. If only there were a way to bake chocolate chip cookies to please everyone. There is! And, no, it’s not Martha Stewart’s way. It’s science.”
- Why I Am Changing the Name of Our Puppy-Burning Movement to “Alt-Warmth” | “When I started this movement, my goal was to connect like-minded individuals who were interested in the ideals expressed in our charter. And I can honestly say that a significant part of what has made this movement so successful is the name itself — it’s provocative, it represents a clear vision, and it’s very attractive to those who are interested in learning more about puppy-burning. For several reasons, I believe it’s time for a change.”
- A Look Into Time Magazine’s Latest Image of “Person of the Year” Donald Trump | “Regardless of political affiliations, everyone can appreciate a stellar photograph that invokes a sea of moods and emotions and appeals to multiple messages and viewpoints. Esteemed photographer, Nadav Kander was able to do just that, with his latest portrait of President-elect Donald Trump for the cover of Time Magazine’s ‘Person of the Year’ edition.”
Bonus: Want more on gratitude and mindfulness? Check out the video and infographic we made!
Image: from the film Arrival, link #5.